I’ve been having a lot of weird issues with my WordPress websites lately… I decided it might be time to finally look into Virtual Private Hosting. In the past, I’d avoided it as it was just too expensive. I looked today, and its only $45/yr more for the base plan over what I’m currently paying for Shared Hosting. I think I really need to look into this, as it would give me a lot more control, and should fix most of the issues with WordPress.
- Tag Archives Web Design
I even got some help on updating a ton of events from Susie at the Milo Town Office. I got to overhaul a good portion of the calendar, which has needed to be done for some time. We had a lot of outdated stuff in there. I’ve got a few events that still need to be checked, but the calendar is looking much better now.
Lately I’ve been pretty focused on making the site mobile-friendly, and I was concerned about the calendar. It actually gets pretty messed up on mobile viewing in Portrait mode, but it works perfect if you’re in landscape. This made me pretty happy, as overhauling that calendar would be like having a root canal. The code is old, and pretty clunky in places, but it works GREAT. Every time I go in to edit, I make sure I clean it up a bit and improve things.
Thats all for now. For my next trick, I’ll be overhauling the TRC Local Directory 🙂
I did a bunch of maintenance on my WayFar hosting account today. It was much needed, and waaaay overdue. I purged a ton of old, out-dated accounts, backed up and removed over a dozen old databases, and fixed a growing slew of hacking issues. Damn hackers.
All in all, things are more organized, cleaned out, and streamlined. I also enabled a new enhanced security feature on every user that I’m hoping will cut down on the rampant hacking issues.
I spent this weekend doing a ton of web design work. I’ve made some major updates here on Sethen.com, including making the damn site finally work properly. I also started work on a website for my latest client.
My website has been acting up for SOME time now. Every time I’d go to edit something, I’d get random errors. Server 500 Errors were running rampant, and I had to switch the site out of HTTPS just to edit the menu. Things were out of hand.
I backed up the entire website, and practically rebuilt it piece by piece to find what was causing my problems. I also kept running the site through GTMetrix to help me work out my load errors. In the end, I found that two plugins were behind my woes – the one that auto-posted to Facebook, and the one that connected my site to my Piwik Stats site.
I found ways to replace the functionality of both of these, and we’ll see how it goes. I also managed to remove about a dozen plugins I didn’t need anymore, and removed several dozen files from the internal structure of the site that were years out of date.
All in all, everything is running better now. I also managed to figure out the built-in mobile version of my theme, instead of using the ugly one that looked nothing like my site. My site is now truly mobile-friendly. I also updated the logo for WayFar Design, as seen above 🙂
My newest client is the Stonington Public Library. I spent a good portion of Saturday setting up and designing their new website. I’m not ready to show it off publicly yet, so don’t go looking for a link 🙂