Web Design Weekend

New WayFar Design Logo

I spent this weekend doing a ton of web design work.  I’ve made some major updates here on Sethen.com, including making the damn site finally work properly.  I also started work on a website for my latest client.



Sethen.com
My website has been acting up for SOME time now.  Every time I’d go to edit something, I’d get random errors. Server 500 Errors were running rampant, and I had to switch the site out of HTTPS just to edit the menu. Things were out of hand.

I backed up the entire website, and practically rebuilt it piece by piece to find what was causing my problems.  I also kept running the site through GTMetrix to help me work out my load errors.  In the end, I found that two plugins were behind my woes – the one that auto-posted to Facebook, and the one that connected my site to my Piwik Stats site.

I found ways to replace the functionality of both of these, and we’ll see how it goes.  I also managed to remove about a dozen plugins I didn’t need anymore, and removed several dozen files from the internal structure of the site that were years out of date.

All in all, everything is running better now.  I also managed to figure out the built-in mobile version of my theme, instead of using the ugly one that looked nothing like my site.  My site is now truly mobile-friendly.  I also updated the logo for WayFar Design, as seen above 🙂


Stonington Library
My newest client is the Stonington Public Library.  I spent a good portion of Saturday setting up and designing their new website.  I’m not ready to show it off publicly yet, so don’t go looking for a link 🙂